I’ll be honest here ladies, I’m not much of a summer cook. If you ask my family, our summer menu consists of a handful of things: corn on the cob, salted tomato and cucumber slices, fried zucchini or eggplant, watermelon and cantaloupe. If my husband is lucky, he’ll get a piece of grilled chicken or a BLT thrown in there. I love eating what is fresh and in season. When it comes to drinks, I’m typically a “water girl” but I love a cold drink for a treat in the summer. Here are some of my favorites.
- 12 tea bags (I use decaf black tea)
- 3/4 c. lemon juice
- 1-2 c. sugar, depending how sweet you like your tea
- This recipe makes a gallon of iced tea. I fill my 3 1/2 quart saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Remove water from heat and add tea bags. Allow to seep for at least 1 hour. Add sugar and lemon and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add water or ice until it makes a gallon.
- 1 c. lemon juice
- 1 c. berries (can use fresh or frozen blueberries, strawberries, or raspberries)
- 1 c. sugar
- Add these 3 things into the blender and mix well.
- Add 7 cups water and ice. Makes about 1/2 gallon
And my new favorite which came my way through Sarah Herr:
- 2 c. milk
- 1 1/2 T. instant coffee granules
- 1 T. sugar
- 5-6 ice cubes (you can use coffee ice cubes from leftover coffee, but using regular ice cubes works fine and doesn’t water it down too much)
- Optional add-ins: 1 T vanilla or cocoa powder
- Put all ingredients into blender and blend for about a minute until all ingredients are combined and drink is frothy.
Enjoy and stay cool!