So, what’s your resolution gonna be this year? I’ve tried all kinds of New Year’s resolutions over the years but I’ve failed many times to keep them. Resolutions can be good but they can also distract us from what really matters in life. The best New Year’s Resolution we can make is to live a gospel centered life. CJ Mahaney says, “Don’t let the cross slide into second or third place in your life. Never lay it aside. Never move on.”
How can we grow to be more gospel centered in our everyday lives? What do we need to put in place to fill our minds with the glories of Calvary? CJ gives us some very helpful practical ways to cultivate a love and passion for the gospel…
1. Memorize the Gospel: memorize key passages that describe and define the gospel. Here are 6 verses to memorize this coming year. I think this is doable.
• 2 Corinthians 5:21
• Romans 8:31-34
• Isaiah 53:3-6
• Romans 3:23-26
• Romans 5:6-11
• 1 Corinthians 15:3-4
2. Pray the Gospel: there’s nothing complicated about this. Simply begin by thanking God for his forgiveness of your sins through the death of Christ on the cross. The cross should always be mentioned in our prayers – at meal times, in private, in public and as we pray for others.
3. Sing the Gospel: one of the key ways we grow in our affection for the cross is by singing and listening to gospel centered worship songs. What do you listen to while your drive? What music plays in the background in your home? Make cross centered worship a regular part of your daily routine.
4. Regularly Review How the Gospel Has Changed You: many people want to forget the past. But for Christians, one of the best ways we can draw near to the cross in to remember our past, and allow it to remind us of how marvelous God’s salvation really is. It will give us a greater appreciation for the sufficiency of the blood of Christ to cover all of our sins.
5. Study the Gospel: resolve to read a gospel centered book this coming year. Here are some suggestions…
• Living the Cross Centered Life by CJ Mahaney
• What is the Gospel by Greg Gilbert
• Holiness by Grace by Bryan Chapel
• The Great Exchange by Jerry Bridges
• The Truth of The Cross by RC Sproul
• Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ by John Piper
- The Gospel for Real Life by Jerry Bridges
6. Share the Gospel: one of the ways we grow in a love for Christ is by evangelism. Sharing the good news with others reminds us how great the gospel truely is. When we share the gospel with others it creates a greater awarness of his mercy and grace. Let’s resolve to share the gospel with someone this year or at least invite a few friends to church so they can hear the gospel preached.